Saturday, December 6, 2008

Progression... if that

Throughout high school I believed that college for myself would consist of partying, making great friends, having great experiences, and working my ass of towards becoming a doctor. Looking back, I had a fairly accurate perception of what was to come... with the exception of becoming a doctor. 

I have still been on the fence about taking pre-med courses and have tried to decipher the reasons for doing so. I have asked, 'Am I doing it because I really want to become a doctor and help people?Is it because I want to make the salary of a doctor? Is it because of outside influence such as my father wanting me to be successful and make money, seeing the work other doctors have done, or maybe the book Mountains Beyond Mountains which tells the story of the doctor Paul Farmer, an infectious disease doctor who does work in Haiti. 

After giving it much thought, I have come to the conclusion that: If I was to become a doctor it would be an infectious disease doctor and I would most likely join Doctors Without Borders to do work in third world countries. I do not have enough passion or general interest to take the basic courses in my undergraduate career, as of now. I don't believe I am smart enough or creative enough in the subjects to become as successful in the field as I would need to be to consider it a success myself. I definitely don't believe in the medical school practice of having to be able to pull up cases verbatim, nor do I have the memory for it.

I have, on the other hand, decided that I need to work on the memory part. Which can only be done through studying. I have yet to full-heartedly throw myself into one field due to an undenying passion. 

Since my undergraduate experience has begun, I have gone from pre-med, biology major, to economics, followed by economics and anthropology, then wanted to join the military - most likely out of confusion, but also a belief that serving ones country is honorable and important. After being talked out of piloting, for now, I stuck with the economics and anthopology for some time. I don't believe I have the instincts for some of the cold-hearted economics that are done, although there are many other areas in economics I may be able to be successful in. 

During my time in Florence, giving credit to my Mass Media course, I have moved past economics onto journalism. Stemming from a comment my high school english teacher made - an assignment was to write a narrative essay. She said it was written more like a newspaper than a story - I have taken an interest in journalism. The principles behind mass media fascinate me and I enjoy writing. I plan on continuing my study in anthropology and hopefully putting it to use in whatever field I end up in. It may be useful for the practical purpose of understanding people rather than becoming an anthropologist. As a journalist I would be interested in; investigative journalism, editing, freelance, and/or governmental journalism. 

I also have an interest in public service, as I believe it another way of serving your nation outside of the military. Who knows, I may end up in the Peace Corps, military, or some completely unknown field.

Momma Meier has told me not to worry about it now, that people typically don't stay in the same field their whole career. Either way, I cannot completely guide my future, only aid in its progression or hold myself back from steps that are needed.

It is one of the first days in some time that there is sun in Florence and even after a late night of good company and good drinks, I plan on venturing out into this beautiful city. I'm planning on walking on the path I typically run and walk into the olive tree grove that I have been wanting to check out. If I end up there than it will be excellent, but I typically don't make plans for the reason they typically don't work out. I will end up where I end up, write, maybe read, possibly study, but will enjoy myself. 

Ciao for now and continue exploring...

No comments: