Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Regardless of belief, an amazing Election Day

The 2008 Presidential Election was the first that I have been elligeble to vote in. To make matters more interesting, I am in a foreign country and had to recieve an absentee ballot. 

As well as having to vote differently than most Americans, I was also subject to more scarcely available resources with which to aid my decision. I did not have radio or television to listen to. I only had our oldest form of communication, the spoken word and one of the newest, the internet. The internet played a vital role in my decision. I did not choose based on popular opinion or my parents voting history. I wanted to be fully responsible for my decision; because as a citizen of the US, it is our obligation to make an informed decision.

At around 4am this morning Florence time, Wednesday November 5, 2008, the 44th president was chosen and for the first time America will have an African American President. Whether you supported Senator John McCain or Senator Barrack Obama throughout the race, the results should represent something special about the United States. I wish Mr. Obama the best throughout his presidency and am honored to say I helped choose the 44th president of the United States. 

No comments: